Thanks to the hard work of Cape Fear SORBA’s Jeremy Cavenaugh and Barry Wray, we have launched our website dedicated solely to the Coastal Carolina Off Road Series. Visit the site now and pass on the link to all your biking friends!
December 11, 2013
October 23, 2013
I am super stoked about this Saturday’s Wilkes 100K Mountain Bike Race at Kerr Scott Dam & Reservoir in Wilkesboro, NC. I have never been so excited about a race that I am not able to attend (notice I said attend not race..not at that level…yet!), but I am thinking this race could become one of the most desired races in North Carolina.
Not only will the course include Warrior Creek, but also Dark Mountain, Over Victory Trail (OVT), and Shiner’s Run. Here is a good Strava report that gives an idea of the trail profile from the former semi-endurance race, “Escape from Dark Mountain.”
In addition, I am very excited to announce that my local bike club, Cape Fear SORBA, is sending more than a dozen racers to the Wilkes 100K and many of these are super fast and experienced riders. I cannot wait to see how our coastal flatlanders do this Saturday!
These trails are built and maintained by the Brushy Mountain Cyclists Club and all proceeds from the race will directly benefit continued trail development. Big kudos to BMCC for building and maintaining this IMBA Epic trail system!
Registration is still open for a few more hours by heading fast over to Bike Reg.
Oh yeah, I cannot forget my good friend, Marshall Brown, president of Waccamaw Trail Blazers, who will be racing the Wilkes 100K!
Wishing good cranks to everyone. You can keep up at the Wilkes 100K twitter feed.
October 21, 2013
I think I am going to tackle the daunting task of build an off-road race page on the blog here. Below is a start. If you have any suggested off-road races, I would be glad to list. I realize that there are so many great sites that already capture a lot of this, but I am ready to start trying to wrap my hand better around what’s going on in the off road racing world.
- Sat. Jan 4, NCCX Race #12 – Winston Salem, NC
- Sun. Jan 5, NCCX Race #13 – Greensboro, NC
- Sat. Jan 18, NCCX Race #14 – Asheville, NC – Biltmore Estate
- Sun. Jan 19, NCCX Race #15 – Asheville, NC – Biltmore Estate
- Tues. Dec. 3 Tuesday Night Huntersville CX Series Race #4
- Sat.-Sun. Dec. 7-8, Myrtle Beach Cyclocross Race Series #3
- Sun. Dec. 8, NCCX Race Series #9 – Salisbury, NC
- Sat. Dec. 14, NCCX Race #10- Hendersonville, NC – UCI NCGP
- Sun. Dec. 15, NCCX Race #11- Hendersonville, NC – UCI NCGP
- Sat.-Sun, Nov. 2-3, Myrtle Beach Cyclocross Race Series #1
- Sun. Nov. 3, NCCX Series Race #4 – Boone, NC
- Tues. Nov. 5 Tuesday Night Huntersville CX Series Race #1
- Sun. Nov. 10, NCCX Series Race #5 – Durham, NC
- Tues. Nov. 12 Tuesday Night Huntersville CX Series Race #2
- Sat., Nov. 16, Stache-N-Dash MTB Race, The Hulk- Myrtle Beach, SC
- Sat. Nov. 16, NCCX Series Race #6 -Southern Pines, NC – State Champ.
- Tues. Nov. 19 Tuesday Night Huntersville CX Series Race #3
- Sat.-Sun., Nov. 23-24, Myrtle Beach Cyclocross Race Series #2
- Sun. Nov. 24, NCCX Series Race #8 -2013 – Wilkesboro, NC
- Sat. Oct. 19, NCCX Series Race #1, Charlotte, NC
- Sun. Oct. NCCX Series Race #2 – Raleigh, NC
- Sun. Oct. 20, Annual Shake N Bake Classic, Goose Creek, SC
- Sat. Oct. 26, Wilkes 100K, Kerr Scott Trails, NC
- Sun. Oct. 27, 6 Hrs of Moores Springs Trail, Danbury, NC
- Sun. Oct. 27, NCCX Series Race #3 – Winston Salem, NC
October 9, 2013
I am excited to tackle my first solo mountain bike endurance race this Saturday, October 12, at Brunswick Nature Park-Leland, NC, called The Brunswick Brawl. This year’s Brawl has a 1/3/6 Hr options and I will be racing the 3 Hr option. Not only am I racing, but I have been privileged now for the second year in a row, to be part of the event planning team for this race.
Cape Fear SORBA, my local bike club, is responsible for making this race a huge success on the North Carolina coast. Last year was our first year transitioning this to a very successful and high quality endurance race. Currently, we are on track for having the best year yet, as we are hoping for record registration numbers.
Our Title Sponsor, Visit Leland, NC, returns to support our efforts, as well as, Bike Cycles- Wilmington, Two-Wheeler Dealer-Wilmington, Bicycle Gallery-Jacksonsville, TD Bank, St. James Plantation, Diesel Parts of the Carolinas, LLC, and Realtor Sean Skutnik of Coldwell Banker.
Personally, my goal is simply to complete three 9-mile laps before the the 2.5 hour cut-off for the 3 hour race. This means 3 laps of at least 50 minutes a piece which will allow me a 4th final victory lap!
Currently, I feel like my conditioning and training puts me right on the bubble for this to be achieved. At 100% output, I can ride a 43 minute lap, but pacing three laps is going to be the secret. Last year I raced in the 6 hour Duo class and my lap times were:
- Lap 1: 46.12
- Lap 2: 45:03
- Lap 3: 48:52
I seem to still have a solid riding base as last year, but I have not gotten much faster, therefore, I am thinking I will target 48 minute laps. this will leave me a little time to fix unexpected mechanicals and address any hydration refills.
This year’s race course is better than ever. With the rain moving in already this week, Brunswick Nature Park will be tightly packed and faster than ever. In tandem with the long volunteer trails hours of Cape Fear SORBA, there are 4 new berms that keep the rider moving fast through transition sections.
As a race promoter, I am very excited to see the geographical reach of our race. So far, it looks like I will be joined by racers from Raleigh, Cary, Salisbury, Fayetteville, Charlotte, Charleston, Winston Salem, Southern Pines, Greensboro, Ayden, Apex, Myrtle Beach, Midway Park, Wake Forest, Southport, Carolina Shores, Camp Lejuene, Winnabow, Wilmington, Laland, Carolina Beach, Rocky Point, Castle Hayne, Jacksonville, and Morehead City, For our club, this already makes the race a huge success!!
August 6, 2013
The Brunswick Brawl 2013 endurance mountain bike race at Brunswick Nature Park in Leland, NC is officially live for registration. This race is sponsored by Visit Leland, NC and put on by volunteers from my local Cape Fear SORBA club. Race date is Saturday, October 12th, 2013 with 6hr/3hr/1hr options. Can’t wait to race it! Race registration link.
July 22, 2013
Cycling Dirt is one of the best sites to find updated videos with all your favorite MTB elite riders after they finish hammering it out at your favorite bike race. Cycling Dirt provides video clips at the perfect length and always seem to catch the perfect emotion of the rider after they win, loose, fall, or whatever. Big kudos to the team at Cycling Dirt. Here is an interview with a GREAT U23 rider Howard Grotts who lost the gold this weekend at the very rock garden at MTB Nats. Nontheless, Howard still showing smiles! Heal up soon Grotts!
July 11, 2013
From the looks of recent mountain bike cyber chatter, October is going to be an awesome month of endurance racing options! If you are looking for a reason to get out in the heat and start your training now, you should have no lack of motivation when you see all the great races available in just 3 months. Here are just a few that I have on my radar that I would like to share:
- October 5th, Monkey Chunker 6 Hr, ECVelo, Greenville, NC
- October 12th, Brunswick Brawl 1/3/6Hr, Cape Fear SORBA, Wilmington, NC
- October 12th, 12 Hours of Dauset, Jackson, GA
- October 11-13th, Tsali Fall Festival, Nantahala Area SORBA
- October 19th, Battle for Oak Mountain, Chain Buster, Pelham, AL
- October 19th, Baker’s Dozen, CSRA-SORBA, North Augusta, GA
- October 26th, Wilkes 100K, Kerr Scott Trails, Wilkesboro, NC
I am sure there are many more, but this will at least get your endurance juices flowing!!!!!